What is Kratom Tea?
Kratom tea is a beverage made by steeping or simmering kratom leaves or powder in hot water. Kratom, scientifically known as Mitragyna speciosa, is a tropical tree native to Southeast Asia. Its leaves contain alkaloids, including mitragynine and 7-hydroxymitragynine, which are believed to have various potential benefits.
Advantages of Kratom Tea
Drinking kratom tea offers several advantages over consuming large amounts of kratom powder, notably in terms of maximizing alkaloid intake while minimizing potential counter indications. By enjoying kratom in tea form, you can consume a higher concentration of alkaloids, ensuring a more potent experience. Additionally, the tea preparation process may help alleviate potential digestive discomfort and other negative side effects often associated with consuming kratom powder. This is why kratom drinks are my favorite way to consume kratom.
Note: If you haven't already, please read about Proper Kratom Dosage.
- Gentler on the Stomach: Brewing kratom into tea can make it gentler on the stomach (especially if you strain the powder) compared to consuming the raw powder. Some individuals might experience discomfort or nausea when ingesting the powder, which can be minimized by brewing tea.
- Increase Dosage: Because there is less discomfort and counter-indications with kratom tea, you can take larger doses allowing you to maximize the benefits of the plant.
- Enhanced Onset and Duration: Kratom tea is absorbed more quickly by the body compared to consuming the powder. This often results in a faster onset of effects and a potentially longer duration of action, enhancing the overall user experience.
- Reduced Bitterness: Kratom powder has a strong, bitter taste that can be challenging for some to tolerate. Brewing it into tea allows you to mask or mitigate the bitterness with the addition of other flavors, such as herbs, spices, or sweeteners.
- Synergistic Blends: Kratom tea can be easily blended with other herbs, spices, or botanicals that complement its effects or flavors. This opens the door to creating personalized blends that cater to specific preferences or needs.
- Less Residue: Drinking kratom tea means there's no residue left in your mouth that might contribute to the aftertaste or stickiness often associated with consuming the powder.
It's important to note that individual preferences and sensitivities vary. While kratom tea offers these benefits, some users might still prefer consuming the powder due to personal taste or desired effects. Ultimately, the choice between kratom tea and kratom powder depends on your preferences, goals, and how your body responds to each method.
How to Make Kratom Tea
To make kratom tea, the leaves or powder are typically boiled in water for a certain period of time, allowing the alkaloids to be extracted. The resulting liquid is then strained to remove the plant material, and the tea is ready to be enjoyed.
By simmering the kratom leaves, you can create a more potent tea compared to steeping. The duration of simmering or steeping directly affects the extraction of alkaloids. The longer you simmer or steep the tea, the greater the extraction of alkaloids, resulting in a stronger brew.
For steeping, I recommend pouring boiling water into a mug and placing a kratom tea bag in the cup for 10-15 minutes. Squeeze the tea bag gently with a spoon and enjoy!
For a stronger brew simmer your tea bag for up to 2.5 hours. The water should be a slow roll (not a full boil) or you'll be left with a burnt taste and less desirable alkaloids.
I like adding a squeeze of lemon juice which may help make the kratom more bioavailable.
For greater detail into making kratom tea, check out these related articles:
Kratom's Earthy Taste
Kratom tea is known for its earthy and slightly bitter taste, which can be enhanced or masked with the addition of sweeteners, citrus juices, and herbal infusions like our Life Shot Health Tonic. We prefer to add other herbs and botanicals to our kratom tonics to create unique flavor profiles and to enhance desired effects.
As with any herbal product, it's important to approach kratom tea responsibly, starting with a low dose and being aware of individual sensitivities and tolerance levels. Consulting with a healthcare professional is recommended, especially for those with pre-existing health conditions or who are taking medications.